Thursday 3 March 2011

March Music

In the last month I managed to worm my way into getting a paid trip to California to talk to people about Nokia phones. Aside from that strange (but amazing) experience, I've been working in a quantitative research team for the last 9 weeks, it involves a lot of statistics. I don't much like the numbers but the people are nice.


Perhaps more importantly, I got music for y'all:


Side A


Tyler the Creator - Yonkers
OFWGKTA have been generally exploding over the last few months, Tyler the Creator & Earl Sweatshirt are the core members of this collective from LA. This track by Tyler the Creator is blowing up thanks to support from fans like Mos Def (who seems to be acting as bit of a mentor for the group), Questlove & Kanye West. Earl Sweatshirt is currently being held under house arrest by his mum until he turns 18, presumably because she's not too fond of the seriously explicit content her son produces.



Jenna G - Moving With You
Watching this video made me miss Manchester a lot. I failed to find the full version of Jenna G singing In Love with the Riot Jazz band, but I did find this track she did with Netsky.



Eric Lau - Star Trekking
Eric Lau is doing pretty well for himself, not only is he the head of music at Rolling Stone UK, he's also an awesome DJ/producer.



Germany Germany - Reflections
Germany Germany is the alias of a music producer/DJ/keytarist named Drew Harris, he hails from British Columbia. This song and Take Your Time are two of his best.



Teams Vs. Star Slinger - Say Please
Star Slinger is a beat maker from Manchester, he makes funky tunes like this.




Side B


Andrew Bird - Tenuousness (Solo Live Performance)
I saw this live performance of Tenuousness and it blew my mind, the guy has some serious talent.



Atoms for Peace - Hollow Earth
Unsurprisingly, Radiohead's new album is very good. Instead of being a bit boring and posting one of the great tracks from the album (Codex, Giving up the Ghost, Lotus Flower), I've decided to post this video of Thom Yorke singing The Hollow Earth with Atoms for Peace. Thom does his dance freakout thing while Flea, Joey Waronker and Mauro Refosco provide incredible support. For more proof that Thom and the rest of Radiohead are a bunch of godlike geniuses, see this or this or this or this or this or this...



Tristan Allen - Janos Vs Wonderland (with Amanda Palmer)
Amanda Palmer is a baddass, a baddass who makes lovely music. As she so kindly informed her fans at a gig in her native Australia, she has her own fucking plan. I really like this track that she did with Tristan Allen, I searched for it on YouTube and found this music video made by a bunch of students.



The Raveonettes - Forget That You're Young
I've not listened to a great deal of The Raveonettes and I know almost nothing about them, only that they've been around for a while. This is off their new album and I think it's pretty damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE VALIDATE ME!