Wednesday 7 December 2011

Autumnals

Switching things up a bit this month - I've put my top 10 songs from this post into two YouTube playlists. You can choose between the A-Side or the B-Side mix - it'll play through the majority of the tracks from whichever side you pick (I wont ever put in more than two songs by one artist I've posted about) - I hope you like!

A-side (Play All)


B-Side (Play All)



Side A


Calibre - Even If
Calibre is (according to his Last.fm page) the first exclusively Irish DnB artist. I'm not sure how that can be possible...but in any case, this guy makes some incredible tracks. Even If is brilliant, as is Broken (featuring the same vocalist) - he's also done a remix of T.E.E.D.'s Garden that I've not been able to stop listening to since I first heard it.

Fred V & Grafix - Daddy (Feat. Emili Sande) 40 min mix for DADA DnBTV, Find A Way
Joker - My Trance Girl, Tron, Purple CityOn My Mind Stuck In The System


Onra & Quetzal - Gotta Have It
I posted a track from Onra (French/Vietnamese DJ) last month, but I went back and listened to a bunch more tracks. If you're a fan of Gotta Have It or Relax In Mui, then listen to The Anthem, On A Sunny Day, I Wanna Go Back, High Hopes and No Matter What.
 
WZRD (Kid Cudi & Dot Da Genius) - Teleport 2 Me
Katalyst - Dreaming of You


Prince - Live at the Aladdin  
Impossibly funky live performance from Prince and his band (which I have stolen from a funky bass playing gent I went to school with). I'm sorry Huw, IT WAS JUST TOO DAMN FUNKY.

Roots Manuva vs The Barkeys - Too Hot to Witness <-----SO FUNKY
Chic - Everybody Dance, I Want Your Love  <------SUPER FUNKY


Azealia Banks - 212 Ft. Lazy Jay
The NME don't much right these days, but the girl is definitely cool - apparently she's the new shit, boo, young Rapunzel.

Modeselektor - Berlin (Feat Miss Platnum)
The Notorious B.I.G. - Everyday Struggle (Frogs In Socks BIG Bootleg)


The Roots - What They Do
When the Roots aren't calling Michele Bachmann a Lying Ass Bitch through Fallon intro music, they make incredible songs of their own. They just released their new album Undun (a hip hop odyssey inspired by a Sufjan Stevens song) - the general consensus is that it's shit crazy ridiculous good. You can stream the whole thing right now via NPR Music (most likely for a limited time only). This track from 1996 was one of their first hits, they're still kicking ass 15 years later. Questlove recently predicted a riot ("Omg, drivin down south st near #ows. Something bout to go down yo, swear I counted 1000 riot gear cops bout to pull a sneak attack #carefulyall.") and Black Thought may or may not be one of the best rappers OF ALL TIME.

Black Star (Mos Def/Yasiin Bay & Talib Kweli) - Fix Up, You Already Knew
B.O.B - Boom Bap (Feat T.I. & Mos Def)
Louque - Still In Waiting, Art, Kenny The Jet


Side B


Yo Yo Ma & Lil Buck - Live
This video is a few months old, but it's so good I want to make sure everyone has seen it - an incredible collaborative performance between Yo Yo Ma and Lil Buck (organised by Spike Jonze).

Nujabes - Counting StarsKumomiAruarian DanceShino's ThemeSpiritual State (Feat. Uyama Hiroto) 
ROSTAM - Wood


Nina Simone - Feelings
I don't think I'll ever find a Nina Simone song I love more than her performance of 'Feelings' at the Montreux Jazz Festival. Saying that though, this cover of 'Suzanne' is pretty damn good...likewise with My Baby Just Cares For Me, Ain't Got No, I Got Life (live), Backlash Blues, If You Knew and Sinnerman. I would be quite willing to give up body parts if I could go back in time to see Nina Simone play in her prime.

John Coltrane - In A Sentimental Mood, Slow Dance


Lord Huron - She Lit A Fire (Rollo & Grady Sessions)
I posted about Lord Huron a few months back, but they've recently done a couple of live sessions organized by the  blog Rollo & Grady. The tracks Man Who Lives Forever and The Stranger (recorded at the same sessions) are similarly brilliant.

Alexi Murdoch - Song For You
Bert Jansch - Needle Of DeathMoonshine 


King Charles - Ivory Road (Black Cab Session)
Pulled up dreads and a thick gents moustache...but with the talent to match.

The Horrors - Best Thing I Never Had (Beyonce Cover)
Youth Lagoon - 17


Yuna - Coffee
A lovely Malaysian girl with an incredible voice.

Robyn - Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall
Charlene Soraia - Lightyears Wherever You Will Go

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE VALIDATE ME!